Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Why Do I Care About Hair?

We shaved Libby’s hair today. It was time. The four or five strands of hair I was attempting to style into a presentable “hairdo” resembled the infamous comb-over. She also had a “dust ruffle” of sorts at the nape of her neck. The hair down there never fell out, but everything above it did. It was bad. It had to go.

 It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I didn’t even cry. It probably helped that Libby liked getting her hair shaved. When the razor would stop she would beg for more. 

 I’ve contemplated why this hair loss bothers me so much. There are many reasons, actually. And I know most people would feel the same way. They’ve told me so. It’s not most people’s idea of fun. Shaving your baby’s hair off. But I’ve had time to come to grips with some of the reasons I didn’t want her to lose her hair. I think many of the reasons are justified. And I feel better about a lot of them. And I’m sure I’ll continue to be sad about some of them. But there is one still gnawing at me. One I’m continuing to grapple with. It’s the fact that I tend to worry about what other people think.  I’m worried about what people will think when they see Libby. When they see our family. I don’t know what I would want them to think, exactly. But I know I don’t want people to feel sorry for her. I don’t want people to pity us. I want for them to treat us, and treat Libby, like they would anyone else. And obviously, I want them to adore her. Like we do. 

 God did some real work in me when Libby was born. I’m talking about helping me redefine some core beliefs. Most of which, I had let this backwards world define for me. I had some serious misconceptions. Specifically, about what I thought it meant for me (and anyone, truthfully) to be a person who people value. To be a person who people esteem.  Maybe even a person who people love. And as much work as He’s done in me, the pull of this world is strong. God is not through crushing this idol of mine-this tendency towards the ideals of this world and the people in it. Nope. I know He’ll be working on this one for the rest of my life.

I suspect I’ll still feel a twinge of annoyance when we get a funny look when we’re out.  And I’ll try to remember God is revealing what is real. That He values me. That He values Libby. That He loves us more than we can fathom. He’ll continue to chip away at my need for approval from others. He’ll continue to chip away at my self. To hopefully, one day, reveal more of Himself. The only beauty any of us really has.

10 comments:

  1. The day I lost my hair was devastating to me. I was so sad. It meant that from that point I could no longer be seen as strong and indepenent. It's the same thing you are saying. It is worrying what others will think of us. You seem to have a pretty good handle on it. At least you know what the battle is. At least Libby for the time being doesn't seem to mind. That may change when someone stupid talks about it in front of her. Tell her she is brave,and that she is beautiful. Tell her that God values her. Her physical battle is hard. She should be spared as much of the spiritual battle as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! You know I will. We appreciate your love and support so much!

      Delete
  2. oh she is just as beautiful as ever, that sweet smile can steal any heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me tear up too so I'm so amazed at how strong you are to even do that yourself. Libby is beautiful and with a smile like that who needs anything else. Maybe you'll make it to a playground playdate this summer and they all of us can tell her how brave and beautiful she is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you don't have to worry about crying, because I just cried a river for you! I just don't know if I could be as strong as you during all this. You sure know how to keep it together. I am sure it helps with Libby's awesome attitude and that smile is enough to make anyone melt! Love you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana! I'm telling you, it sure helps to have all the love and support we do from our amazing friends, like you! We love you so much!

      Delete
  5. Just beautiful, Ginny! And, that is one happy baby!! Can't wait to see her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, girlie! She is the best. Can't wait to see you and W!!! XO

      Delete