We are wrapping up the interim maintenance phase. Libby had an intense day of treatment this past Monday. I hate that I didn’t have time to update the blog, but I know you’re keeping those prayers coming because we can feel them! Libby did awesome! She had intrathecal chemo, two IV chemo infusions, IVIG, and got her flu shot. It was a long and tiring day for her, but not a tear was shed. This little girl is something else.
She seems to feel fantastic today, but we’re a little on edge because, as you know, she apparently has recurring reactions to these IVIG treatments she gets once a month. The day after treatment is usually an okay day, but it’s tomorrow and the next day that bring surprises. Typically, she starts to deteriorate late afternoon- she’ll run a fever, vomit, and is just really lethargic. The good news is that the doctor has given us a free pass. He told us we do not have to go to the ER if we think it’s simply another reaction. (we've been to the ER both times she’s had IVIG). He assures me there is nothing they can do in the ER, it’s just a matter of waiting it out. So, please pray we can skip the crazy reaction all together this time, or at least that the reaction is short lived, and that it’s clear to us we can handle it at home.
Next Friday will be the last treatment of this phase! We will then have a couple of weeks off as we wait for Libby’s counts to recover so we can begin the dreaded delayed intensification phase. It looks similar to the induction phase. The steroids are back. Libby’s immune system is super compromised as these heavy-duty drugs blast her one last time. Most likely, this phase is going to start right around Thanksgiving, and will last about two months. So definitely keep those prayers coming, we’ve got crazier than usual holidays ahead! And come spring we’re looking forward to returning to our new “normal”.
Hope you are all wonderful!! Thank you, and we love you!