Thursday, August 23, 2012

Business As Usual

I cannot believe it’s almost September.  The girls are growing up. Way too fast. Libby is up to her typical two-year-old antics and Annie is already seven months old.  Things are good. It feels like we’ve turned a corner. I know, believe me, I hesitate to even say it. But it feels that way. We’re out of the newborn phase, we’re out of the hospital, and things have normalized. Somewhat.

True, it’s a rare day I’m able to get Libby into her orthotics, her hearing aids in her ears, do the therapy we’re supposed to do, and get her teeth brushed. There’s actually never a day all of those things happen. Never. But we get the basics done. We get diapers changed, we get fed, and we usually manage to get dressed. And that’s enough for us, right now.

I’m almost starting to impress myself with my ability to get out with the girls all by myself. The three of us, with our awesome (and enormous) double stroller, are out and about a lot these days. Yes, the nurse at the doctor’s office had to completely take over the job of steering our stroller and Libby the other day.  Annie was about to lose it, and I was trying to steer while holding her. I think he got nervous when I rammed the front corner of the stroller into the doorframe as we were trying to get back to the exam room. I do this a lot, this ramming of the stroller, but I’ve ensured Libby’s little feet don’t stick out that far, yet. I don’t think I could break a foot or ankle. But he seemed concerned. I was happy to let him steer. 
 Annie can sit up, now. This is thrilling for Libby because she is finally able to play with her little sister. And I use the term “play” very loosely, as this mostly entails Libby taking everything that Annie is playing with away from her. And then handing it back to her at my command. Libby snatches her toy, Annie shrieks, I tell Libby to give it back, she gives it back (and by this I mean she shoves it, way too hard, back in Annie’s face), Annie shrieks again, sometimes falls over, and then shrieks some more. And the cycle repeats.  They do seem to love each other, though. They love singing together. They love dancing together. They love taking their bath together. They love to laugh at each other. It’s pretty great.
Libby did not have any treatment this week. This is a count recovery week. Hopefully, we will move into our next phase of treatment on Thursday.  In the meantime, it’s business as usual around here. Praise God!

Happy Weekend! 

6 comments:

  1. Ginny - I truly admire you! The girls are just precious. Can't wait to see them again. Love you guys - enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana-I admire you! :) Thank you so much. We would love to get together to play with Katie sometime-we've got to plan it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we keep saying that but we GOT to do it! Must have Hadley too. I see a fun and crazy girls day coming soon! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hadley is a must! Crazy is SUCH an understatement! :)

      Delete
  4. its so nice once siblings play together. Praying for an uneventful but fun "recovery" week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginny, glad to hear things are going well! We think about you guys all the time. I laughed as I read about your girls playing together haha. We play that game a lot at our house too! Whew it gets tiring being the referee! Love, Lori Harvey

    ReplyDelete