Thursday, August 16, 2012

Eucharisteo

If you think of this world as a place intended simply for our happiness, you find it quite intolerable: think of it as a place of training and correction and it’s not so bad.
CS Lewis

In the book I’m currently reading, One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp writes beautifully about living a full life. The life God intends for us to live. A life that is full of joy. Joy even when things don’t go as planned. Even with cancer. Even with something worse. The way to this full life, she writes, is through eucharisteo-or, thanksgiving. She goes on to write about her personal experience practicing this kind of gratitude in her life. And, yes, it does take practice. I could go on, but I’m certain I will only taint her eloquent words. They are moving and powerful. 


This has been a recurring theme in my life. This notion of thanking God for all He blesses us with. The gifts He gives us. Not just for the things we’ve asked for, or we want. All things.  It’s biblical, of course. But it’s something that, as of late, I’ve been especially confronted with. It’s not a coincidence. I’m learning, albeit rather slowly. He’s helping me. Ann Voskamp has been the first to inspire me to truly put my own thanksgiving into practice. She’s right. It feels good. It slows the crazy life down. It inspires joy and living in the moment. Here’s a peek at some of my list from today: 


-Fran, for gifting me this amazing book
-The opportunity to leave work for a year and stay home with my girls
-My husband
-Sweet, creamy coffee
-The smile on Annie’s face when I wake her up
-Karen H. and the way she loves and cares for our girls
-Pink sky in the morning
-Riding in the car with Libby and watching her smile and dance to the music
-Music
-Libby attempting to talk- even though she tells us all done anytime we have her do the slightest thing she doesn’t want to do
-The ease of these once daunting clinic appointments
-Good blood counts
-Amazing nurses and doctors
-Libby starting to feed herself with a spoon
-Libby scooping up food with her spoon, splattering it on her cheek (not in her mouth) and saying “Mmmmm”
-Naps
- My nephew’s birthday this weekend
-My niece
-Sisters
-Gorgeous, cooler weather
-Weekends



I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.
Philippians 4:11-12

Have a wonderful weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I needed to hear these words today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and love you! Thanking God for sweet friends tonight. I enjoyed seeing you, Hibby and the girls today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, too! It was so wonderful to see y'all! Campbell is absolutely precious. Can't wait to do it again so soon! XO

      Delete