Friday, July 13, 2012

Homecoming

Here’s the deal. When I got to the hospital the doctors were talking about sending us home. Today. I panicked. I was ecstatic. But I panicked. I want to get home. Badly. But there is a part of me that is nervous. We haven’t taken care of Libby at home while on all of this treatment, yet. And she has an infection. And that adds some additional care. But we want to get home. We need to get home.

I think there were some mixed feelings with the doctors and nurses, too. In my typical type A fashion I began weighing options. I talked to every expert there. About every little thing. I gathered everyone’s opinions. Even our sweet housekeeper who cleans our room-she’s actually given me some pretty solid advice over the weeks. And then, I decided to pray. I’ve been praying. And one of those prayers has definitely been to get home. But today I changed that specific prayer-just a bit. I decided to pray to get home in His time. You see, I have a way of trying to control situations. I know, I know-hard to believe. And I’m slowly, very slowly, learning this control is an illusion. And when I give up the control- you know, the control I never had-I’m letting Him be in control. And it just seems to work better that way.

The nurse came in our room almost immediately. She told me we weren’t going home today. She said everyone agreed to have us stay a few more days. The doctor mentioned Tuesday. And it felt good. Hib was working today, and wouldn’t have easily been able to help me get home. I can’t even conceive how I would’ve packed up our room. My family is out of town this weekend. Annie is in awesome hands with her Gigi and Papa. And while Hib is at the hospital some this weekend, I’ll have some time to run errands and ensure we have everything we’ll need when we do get home. The weekend is nice and quiet at the hospital. I’ll have time to really go over everything with the nurses. (Hello…I’m still type A) We'll be off IV antibiotics. Libby’s counts will have come up even more. Hib leaves to go out of town on Wednesday. A Tuesday homecoming will, in the nick of time, save me several days of around the clock hospital duty while he’s gone. And hopefully we’ll even have Tuesday night together as a family before he leaves. His timing is perfect.

Have a happy weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Amen...He answered your prayers. Your faith is inspiring....I will be praying Libby continues to do well so Tuesday will be a glorious homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, My name is Tim Bishop. My wife and I have 2 children with DS, one biological and one adopted. Courtney Akin hooked us up with your blog. We will be praying for your family as you fight this battle. Things really sound like they are going well, now. I will look forward to seeing Libby make a full recovery. She is a beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tim. We are so blessed to have such amazing friends, especially the ones that are introducing us to new ones! Thank you for coming on this journey with us. :)

      Delete
  3. Ginny, Your posts are amazing and so uplifting. Continue to stay strong. Tommy and I send our love and prayers to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin! We feel them! Love y'all!

      Delete
  4. Glad it turned out well. If she'll be off IV antibiotics, that right there is awesome for you and your ability to get some real rest when she does go home.
    It really drains the caregiver when they have to give round the clock antibiotics, and have to sanitize everything even more than normal.
    It is really scary when you first leave the hospital, but you'll do great! And, the doctors and nurses do not mind at all if you need to call with questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessed little girl Libby is - great doctors and two amazing parents! I'm so glad she'll be home soon! Please let me know if there's anything at all we can do! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginny... I just found out about your blog... read it and laughed out loud at that sweet Libby... Annie at Six Flags... and you, and your "type A" commentary! Your strength is truly inspirational! You are an amazing mother... constantly making sure your babies are taken care of! We will continue praying for you guys. Megan and Jack send Libby kisses.
    xxoo

    Amy & Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Amy! Whatever. :) Thank you, girl! Love you guys and lots of kisses back!

      Delete
  7. Hey, dont forget you have a nurse friend whois soooo happy to help with ANYTHING!
    Praying for you all:-)
    Chris and tiff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got you on on speed dial, girl! :) Thanks and love y'all!

      Delete