Sunday, November 4, 2012

Praying For Who Our Daughters Will Be

 

Lately, I have been praying, more than usual, that Libby would start walking. And, while I’m at it, I’m praying for her to start talking more, too. These have always been prayers of mine, but recently I’ve been praying extra hard.  I’ve recruited others to pray with me. Because truthfully, lately, my heart has been aching for Libby. I think it has to do with watching her little sister, Annie, and knowing that she will, most likely, walk soon. And maybe even talk soon. I want so badly for Libby to be able to do these things. And I know Libby wants these things for herself even more than I want them for her. And it’s not easy for her. She’s got a lot going on. 
 When Libby was born, we were flooded with calls and emails from family and friends who knew couples, like us, who had a child with Down Syndrome. It was amazing. It was also overwhelming. I remember trying to figure out which couples we might actually try to meet and talk with. It’s a pretty incredible story, but I believe we were divinely led to one particular couple in the very early days with Libby. They were an awesome couple. They were our same age.  Their firstborn son had been born with Down Syndrome. I still remember almost everything we talked about the day we went to their home for breakfast more than two years ago. But one part of the conversation replays in my head a lot. This couple told us they refused to be overly concerned with their son meeting milestones. They would do anything for him and wanted everything for him, but were simply more concerned about his character. Their focus was not going to be on what their son would be able to do, but rather, who their son would be. 
And although it should have been obvious, it was exactly what we needed to hear.  During the first months of Libby’s life we were bombarded with doctors and therapists and all of these things we needed to do for our precious little girl. And to be honest, I still tend to get really bogged down. I’m so thankful God had someone actually say those words to me out loud. Words I’m convinced were from Him. I cling to those words. And the prayer that is always at the forefront of my prayers for both my girls is that they would love God, know that they are loved, and that they would be, in turn, loving. I pray they learn early that their identity rests in their knowing they are children of God. And these prayers help all my other prayers for them fall into place. But I sure still pray them.

No comments:

Post a Comment