Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Little Note, A Kind Gesture, A Big Reminder

Summer is here. I love summer. But with summer comes a change in routine. And I also love a good routine. You see the dilemma. I live for long glorious summer days. No school. Relaxing. Fun. Countless ways to spend my time. But my summer days don't look like they used to. Nope, these long glorious summer days are filled with many hours to occupy two toddlers. Two feisty toddlers, at that. Where do they get their personalities? :) Somehow, the long days tend to highlight my children's struggles. And they certainly seem to shine a bright spotlight on my inadequacies. Failures are pronounced. Our summer days are full of relaxing. Fun. Laughter. They're also full of tension. Time-outs. Tears.

We went to Cracker Barrel for lunch last Sunday. We had to wait for a table. I walked Libby around the restaurant since she wouldn't even consider sitting still for twenty minutes. Only problem was she couldn't walk exactly where she wanted to walk. You know, like into the kitchen. Or behind the hostess stand. Or out into the parking lot. So, being Libby, she protested. Aggressively. We eventually made it to our table. Annie decided she didn't want to eat. And promptly threw her silverware. Libby chose to bang hers against the table. Crayons were also thrown. And one was nearly eaten. We talked. We sang. We ate. And we asked the waiter for our check rather quickly so we could get out of his and everyone's hair.



He told us our meal had been paid for. And gave us a note left for us... 
God bless you and your beautiful family. You have truly blessed us!


We blessed them. Hmmm. I had to wonder if it was the wrangling of my daughter out of the restaurant's kitchen?  Or the fact that I swore in front her? And then threatened my other daughter. I wondered if they heard me argue with my husband? We're typically worse than our girls. We're the opposite of beautiful. Most of the time.





I don't know who they are. But I'm so thankful for these kind, loving people. For our meal, absolutely. But even more, I'm thankful they reminded me of the truth. They reminded me He sees a beautiful family. He has His hand in every single detail of our lives. Even the ugly ones. I'm thankful they reminded me He loves us. Exactly the way we are. And His love isn't contingent upon what we do, or say, or even how we act. I'm thankful they reminded me He wants us to love like this, too.




 I'm thankful they lived out this kind of love. His love. And encouraged this little family of ours. This family constructed by Him. To bring Him glory.  
 
Father, make us all you want us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment