Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Little Prayers, Little Conversations and Big Grace

I had to take Libby to the dermatologist today. And Annie had to go with us. At nap time. I usually try to coordinate Libby's appointments so that I have childcare for Annie. But we have lots of appointments. Some days it just doesn't happen. And today was one of those days. I'm always a little apprehensive taking both girls to appointments. You just never know. Some of our doctors actually have signs on their walls encouraging you to leave your child's siblings at home. Luckily, Libby's dermatologist isn't one of these. But Libby hasn't been 100 percent this week. I wasn't sure how she would feel after school. Annie doesn't like to sit in a stroller for more than a few minutes if we're idle. And this particular visit would creep well into nap time. Just so you understand my doubts. But off we went. Annie was super excited to go with us. She knows we go to the doctor all the time without her. And I guess she thinks she's missing out on something. If she only knew. Libby was thrilled to have her partner in crime. When we pulled into the parking garage I threw up a few prayers. You know, Lord, please let us get through this unscathed. In and out, God. In and out. I looked back at the girls after I parked. Right? They just smiled.

The man stuck in the elevator with us sounded like he had pneumonia. I was trying my best to shield the girls from his coughing. He looked us up and down and told me how beautiful they were. I thanked him. Then, he proceeded to tell me he was exhausted just looking at me.  And he followed that up with, And you know this is the easiest it'll ever be. Just wait. I laughed and told him I'd heard that (and secretly wondered if we were stuck in the elevator with the devil in the flesh).   Annie told me she pooped the minute we walked in the office. And our stroller was too big to fit in the room. Otherwise, we were good. We saw the sweet doctor. Got our prescription. And made it back to the car. Thank you, thank you, gracious God. I muttered as we were getting back into the car. And here's a snippet of my conversation with my girls as we drove away....


Me: We did it girls! That was a successful, relatively pain free visit to the doctor.

Libby: Doctor. More doctor. More doctor (she loves her dermatologist).

Me: I'm glad you like your doctor. He is so nice. And you did a great job today, by the way. Good listening to me. Good listening and talking to the doctor.

Libby: (beaming) Okay!

Annie: I so proud of you, Libby.

Me: And I'm proud of you, too, Annie. You were very well-behaved in the doctor's office.

Annie: I so proud of you, too, Mommy.

Me: Well, thank you, Annie.

Thank you, thank you, gracious God.



No comments:

Post a Comment