Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Chemo Update

I had hoped to update you all before today's appointment. But Libby was running a low grade fever yesterday. And for us, unfortunately, that warrants a trip to the ER. We spent the afternoon there. And I went to bed last night at 8:30. :) Thankfully, her labs were good. And she seemed to be fine. We had an appointment scheduled for today. They let us come home. We're praying it's just a little cold/viral something going on. And that she continues to feel better. All of that said, I never got around to updating the blog like I wanted to.

I wanted to ask for your specific prayers regarding the doctors' plan for Libby's to be continued chemotherapy. I know you all have been praying. I'm so thankful for each and every one of you. And I like to give you some of the things we're desperately leaning on Him for these days. Libby is doing very well. It's been incredible to watch. She's doing so well, in fact, they're ready to start her chemotherapy up again. And as much as I don't relish the idea of chemo. I relish the idea of leukemia way less. I trust our doctors. They have been on this journey with us from the start. They are so in tune with us. With Libby. The doctor even told me today he thinks the Moyamoya still trumps leukemia at this point. He knows we're in a precarious place. The plan is to start slowly. He's going to take the drug that has proven to be most beneficial in this maintenance phase (even though we know Libby's big side effect with it is nausea). We're going to start with a very low dose. We're going to give it at a different time of day (this drug has metabolic side effects and we want to see if this makes a difference with the nausea). And we'll couple it with zofran. Our goal is to get some of this poison in her. To keep fighting any annoying leukemia cells. While trying to keep her from vomiting. The vomiting seems to be the biggest concern from the neurologist's standpoint. We'll check in with the leukemia team in a couple of weeks and let them know how it's going. They may add another drug at that point. Then, maybe another. We'll see.

Here we go. Would you continue to pray for Libby and her continued recovery as we add this back into the mix. That she would stay well. And would you pray for wisdom for our doctors as they monitor her progress and make further decisions. And please pray for us. It's times like these when I feel the responsibility begin to mount. And with that, the anxiety. Trying everyday to focus on Him. Not me. I mean, really, what can I do? :)

But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

We love y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Zofran is amazing. When I was in chemo I was still nauseated, but not to the point of vomiting. I am praying that it works as well for Libby. And I will be praying that you all stay healthy during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, Lisa! And it is working so wonderfully for her! We are so thankful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete