Wednesday, April 3, 2013

We Made It

 

Libby starts the maintenance phase of her treatment this Thursday! She’ll be sedated for her IT chemo, and then she’ll receive her monthly IVIG treatment. Hib will be out of town, so I’m especially asking for your prayers for this treatment and the day after! 

However, the hard part-they tell us-is over. According to our doctors, this phase will become our new normal. And I certainly hope we adjust, because we’ll be doing whatever it is we’ll be doing for the next year and a half. Treatments will only be once a month. The chemo is not going to be nearly as strong as the stuff she’s been getting.  She will begin to regain her strength. His timing.  I have to smile. Spring is here, and as all the gorgeous flowers sprout up everywhere around us, so do the beautiful blonde hairs on my little girl’s head.


I read a book nearly a year ago, before Libby was even diagnosed with leukemia. A divine coincidence, one might say. I happened to pick it up again the other day. Here’s one of the first things I had underlined: People who insist on happiness never find joy…Shattered dreams are the prelude to joy. Always. In the middle of our pain, God is working for our joy. At some point, He works in ways we can see. 



I’m thrilled we’ve made it to Libby’s maintenance phase. I’m ecstatic thinking about enjoying a relaxing summer, lazy days outside, vacations, and not heading to the hospital every week.  But my expectations for how I think life should go are eroding. That’s what happens when you face circumstances you can’t control.  I’m not being pessimistic. I actually count myself fortunate God is training me in this early. He doesn’t want this world to work for me. He didn’t design me that way. I was made to desire much more. I was created for another world. And everyday my hunger grows for His redeemed world. This world, and everything in it, will eventually fail me. The only thing that will not is Him. Happiness is fleeting. Joy is everlasting.


So to title this post “We Made It” is a big presumption. :) He knows I know this. We made it to here. We have no idea what’s next. But it doesn’t matter. I’m so thankful and so happy things are going well. More importantly, I’m joyful. As my expectations of this world erode, my expectations of Him continue to grow.















3 comments:

  1. A beautiful post! I'm glad to hear "you've made it" to this point. Keeping Libby and your family in my prayers!

    PS--love the pic of her short, blonde hair coming in--how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful post and great perspective

    love all of the new hair such a smily girl

    ReplyDelete